ST NEOTS WORKHOUSE
The St Neots Union Workhouse was opened in 1842. The building was divided into four sections, each segregated from the others. Women over 16 occupied one block, men of a similar age another, while the children were also separated into boys’ and girls’ blocks. This meant that a poor family who were compelled to seek relief at the workhouse were immediately split up and condemned to lose sight of each other. By the end of the 19th century most of the inmates of the Workhouse were old people who had been sent there to see out their days.
Thanks to the St Neots Museum for these pictures and information.
A ticket from 1857, which could be given to anyone found begging in St Neots so that they could go to the workhouse for help.
This map shows the location of the St Neots Workhouse on St Neots Road, Eaton Socon
The Board of Guardians when the St Neots Workhouse closed in 1930
ST NEOTS WORKHOUSE
When it was an old people's home in the 1960s
WHAT IT LOOKS NOW
After being converted into flats on the St Neots Road, Eaton Socon
Before the St. Neots (Eaton Socon) Union Workhouse was instituted in the 1840s, Buckden had its own Workhouse supported by the parish church. It is uncertain when it closed but probably around 1850 and thereafter the poor of the parish were either sent to the St. Neots Workhouse or supported at home.
The photo shows a postcard of c1898 showing the schools at that date with school children on the green. The thatched building behind the children on the right side is the old Buckden Workhouse, which was demolished and replaced by the house there which bears a plaque reading “L.T.B. & T.B. Coronation 1911”. This coincides with the draining of the village pond and the planting on the Village Green of the three trees to commemorate King George V’s coronation in June 1911.
WHAT IT LOOKS TODAY
This photo is one taken today of the same view as the 1898 postcard.
With thanks to Barry Jobling